[Solved] Issues making Unimus into a auto-start Windows Service

Unimus support forum
brwainer

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:05 pm

I am trying to make Unimus auto start, and run in the background, so that a user does not need to stay logged in 24/7. I've moved the Unimus.exe into "C:\Program Files\Unimus\Unimus.exe". and I've run the following command to create a custom service:

Code: Select all

sc create Unimus type= own start=auto binpath="C:\Program Files\Unimus\Unimus.exe"
This has created a service that starts automatically. The issue is that when Windows tries to start the service, either at boot or on-command, the following error occurs:

Code: Select all

Windows could not start the Unimus service on Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
To the best of my understanding, the Services control is expecting some confirmation that the service has started. It should be noted that when the service is started, Unimus.exe launches (I can see it in taskmgr), followed by Java.exe, and all functionality of Unimus appears to work properly. When the service start call times out, Unimus.exe is force-quit, but the java.exe keeps running on its own.
Tomas

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:09 pm

The inability to run as a native Windows service is currently a known issue.
It will definitely be addressed before release.

UPDATE:
We have a Windows installer available:
https://unimus.net/download.html
brwainer

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:12 pm

It seems to work as a service, or at least, it launches and stays running with no user signed in. I'm glad to know that the final realease will support this out of the box though. Thanks!
dw5304

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:13 pm

if u wanted to get unimus to run as a service in windows. make use of nssm "the non-sucking service manager
make sure you download java first.

to install download nssm https://nssm.cc/release/nssm-2.24.zip

copy nssm and unimus.exe into the same directory someone on a server

open comand prompt as admin

goto the path you copyed the two files

enter nssm.exe install unimus

set the applicaiton path in the dialog box. to the unimus.exe
and hit install service
from command prompt
type nssm start unimus
and your instance is installed.