Multiple Instances - Resilience

Unimus support forum
ukzerosniper

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:30 am

Hi Guys,

I can see that I can run 2 instances of Unimus and that they update each other regarding discovered nodes, however, they do not seem to sync backups to give a backup of backups they have made lol.

Is this possible? Can I get full resilience so that if one instance dies, the other has all the data also?

Thanks guys.
If this post helped. Consider donating to my bit coin fund

1DrTMxNmBuZwgEcJs2LTh3hnB6VFEC1Uqf
Tomas

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:28 am

Currently, only devices are synced across instances.

Since Unimus discovers device type and credentials and backs-up automatically using the default schedule, the other instance should be able to start backing up devices automatically.

So in the ideal situation, multi-instance will just work even if you manage just one of the instances.
(assuming both instances have credentials to access all devices)

We could sync more, but that presents security challenges.
The sync goes through our servers. We decided that sending addresses around is not a security risk, but sending more than that between the instances would mean your sensitive data would be sent around the internet and processed by our servers.
alberto.furia

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi Tomas,
sorry for resuming this old thread.
I'm really interested in Unimus but I would like to have more info on the data that goes through your servers.
Which kind of information do you sync? Just the ip address?
If I have only one Unimus instance do you still need to sync the data with your servers?

Anyway, is it possible to completely avoid the sync with your servers or it would be a problem (i.e. for the license count)?

Kind regards
Tomas

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi,

Indeed only addresses are passed to our servers, nothing else.
Due to security reasons we don't plan to sync anything else.

It it not possible to avoid this - since this is also used for licensing purposes.
(Unimus needs to contact the license server once every 2 days or each time a device is added)

Device addresses are sent as a part of this license sync - for license validation purposes.
We do not (and never will) share this data with anyone, and the data is encrypted on our server-side.
(as well as being encrypted in transit, since licensing communication is HTTPS)