MikroTik backups - export terse

Unimus support forum
edward.fingleton

Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:06 pm

Hi,

We're investigating using Unimus in conjunction with another tool which can verify configuration is to set standards. For MikroTiks this comparison gets much easier when rather than using the 'export' command to retrieve backups, we use the 'export terse' command.

Is there any way to get Unimus to export the backup with the terse modifier?

Thanks,

Ed.
Tomas

Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:20 am

edward.fingleton wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:06 pm
We're investigating using Unimus in conjunction with another tool which can verify configuration is to set standards. For MikroTiks this comparison gets much easier when rather than using the 'export' command to retrieve backups, we use the 'export terse' command.

Is there any way to get Unimus to export the backup with the terse modifier?
Hi. Sorry, currently no way to change how (using which commands) Unimus retrieves backups from devices. We have a feature planned which will allow you to create custom backup flows, but I don't have an ETA when this will be available.

What I could suggest is using Config Push over the API. You could easily call a Config Push with "/export terse" for all the devices you want to inspect from you external system, and get results through the API once the job is finished. I know it's not as clean as just getting the last backup on the device and processing that, but at least it's an option you can use now.
edward.fingleton

Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:21 pm

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for getting back to me, I had a feeling that might be the case. I was kind of surprised to find the backup commands weren't in a database structure when I was digging through the system.

Look forward to hearing more about the custom backup in future, potentially could have a number of use cases for us which we lost moving away from RANCID.

Thanks,

Ed