[Fixed in 2.3.2] Backups failing with error message SENSITIVE_DATA_STRIPPING_ERROR on all non-Cisco devices

Unimus support forum
bthulin

Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:03 am

Backups failing with error message SENSITIVE_DATA_STRIPPING_ERROR on all non-Cisco devices

We are using Unimus to back up the configurations for a large number of devices (600+). From what we are seeing, all of our Juniper JUNOS and Adtran AOS devices are failing to back up and are showing a job status failed with error "SENSITIVE_DATA_STRIPPING_ERROR".

This issue started on the same day that we upgraded our Unimus version.

Current Version : 2.3.1
Previous Version: 2.1.3

We previously configured and applied a tag with the policy "NEVER_STRIP_DATA" to our Juniper and Adtran devices to prevent this error from occurring. This is how we currently see it set in "Backups>Configuration>Sensitive Data Stripping." For many affected devices, this is the only tag applied, meaning that there is no possibility of a tag conflict causing the system to prefer the more secure strip policy (as far as I am aware).

This was working before the upgrade.

Please let me know if you require any additional information for troubleshooting. I appreciate you taking a look at this.

-Blake
Vik@Unimus

Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:52 pm

This issue has been brought to our attention and it will be fixed in our upcoming version 2.3.2. Unfortunately, the tag-based stripping policy control isn't working. This means, that currently only the global stripping policy is taken into an account, so we recommend changing that to not strip sensitive data - this will cause backup to resume working for all devices, but supported devices won't have sensitive data stripped automatically.

I will add this thread to our internal ticket, so once it goes out, I will let you know.
We expect it to be released this or next week at latest.
Vik@Unimus

Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:10 pm

Much sooner than expected; the aforementioned version 2.3.2 fixing the per-tag based sensitive data stripping policy settings has just been released. Let me add a link to our release post, which goes over all the work done on this release

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1620

If you get a chance, give it a try and let us know if all worked as expected.
bthulin

Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:47 pm

Vik,

That is excellent news. I appreciate your timely response. I have notified our Sys Admin and we should hopefully be upgrading to the version 2.3.2 soon.

Thanks!

-Blake
bthulin

Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:36 pm

Team,

We have installed the recommended update and we are happy to report that this has fixed our issue. Thank you for your help on this!

-Blake