[Solved] Email Settings Question

Unimus support forum
joairamd

Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:42 pm

Hello,

Currently we have email notifications configured on unimus using our on prem's exchange server's mail server address. I am trying to change that as we are moving to office 365 but when I change the mail server address to smtp.office365.com and try the test email it doesn't work. I have tried port 25 and 587. I appreciate any assistance with this and will gladly provide any more information if needed. Thank you.
Vik@Unimus

Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:48 pm

Hello,

The very important first step is to determine what is your error message. Have you received a timed out or maybe authentication unsuccessful error? If that's the case, here's how you want to configure Unimus for Office 365/Outlook:

Email server address: smtp.office365.com
Email server port: 587
Use TLS:
SMTP authentication:
Username: myaddress@outlook.com
Password: myoutlookpassword
From address: myaddress@outlook.com
To address: unimusforlife@yourcompanyname.here

Note the username, you want to use your full email address as your username, not just myaddress.
joairamd

Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:11 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the reply, I am currently getting this message:

Failed to close server connection after message failures; nested exception is javax.mail.MessagingException: Can't send command to SMTP host;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: Connection or outbound has closed. Failed messages: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 530 5.7.57 Client not authenticated to send mail. [SJ0PR13CA0239.namprd13.prod.outlook.com]

I followed the email settings below but still received the error message above. I appreciate any advice on this.
Vik@Unimus

Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:07 pm

The settings I mentioned are verified and tested - a standard consumer Office365/Outlook account would work with these settings.

Considering the message, this sounds to me as one of these possible issues:
- firewall or the communication being closed/blocked at some point
- mail server configuration issue, e.g. this issue
- SSL issue - self-signed or custom certificates? an SSL inspection software on the server or on the network?

Let me know what troubleshooting you tried on your end, this may narrow down what to focus on.

Additionally, I recommend submitting a support ticket and attaching Unimus log to it for me to look at and continuing there.
I will additionally update this thread with a solution found for a further reference.
joairamd

Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:04 pm

Hello,

I was able to solve the problem and get email notifications working, it was an issue with our onprem server that was affecting the account for email alerts. Thank you for you help.