[Solved] Devices page broken

Unimus support forum
rebmcr

Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:30 pm

Hi there,

We've been using Unimus without issue for a long time, but today when I logged in to remove a device, I was unable to see any devices. Instead on the Devices page I see a little pink ! which shows a javax error when I mouse over it, something to do with the database connection I think.

No other page has a problem, and the backups are still running in the background, including failure notifications for the device I want to remove (and for a new device I created while testing the Add Device button on the Devices page).

I can't copy the error from the web interface, but I got a section from the bottom of /var/log/unimus/unimus.log which I think matches it. I've attached it. (I had to zip it, you might want to enable .log and .txt as valid files to attach here).

We're running Unimus 2.1.3 on Ubuntu 18.04, and all packages appear up-to-date. We've witnessed this error on Firefox and on Chrome browsers, on Windows 10 and on Ubuntu Desktop 20.04. Rebooting the server does not make any difference.
unimus.zip
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Tomas

Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:44 pm

Hi,

This error indicates a mix of collation between the tables in your Unimus DB. Any chance the default collation of your DB server changed between the time you originally deployed Unimus and now? Upgrades of Unimus can create new tables, and a change in default collation can cause newly created tables to have different collation than "old" (created at original deploy time) tables.

Either way, the fix for this should be easy - simply change all the tables in the Unimus DB to use the same collation, we would recommend "CHARSET=utf8mb4 COLLATE=utf8mb4_unicode_ci"
rebmcr

Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Thanks Tomas, I'll check with our DBA about any recent changes.