[Solved] Synchronized / HA servers?

Unimus support forum
mlyonff

Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:21 am

I have a Unimus server that sits on my network that backs up all of my configs. Love it!

However, if the network that the Unimus server is sitting on or becomes inaccessible and i need to retrieve a config file to fix that issue, then i am kind if screwed.

Is there a way to run a second Unimus server somewhere on another network, maybe in AWS, that would be a mirrored version of the inaccessible Unimus server? That way,
If my network is dead, fried, nuked, whatever, then i would have an accessible offline copy of my configuration files.

I know i can roll my own with the API but i figured i’d ask before i re-invent the wheel.

Thank You,
Mike
Tomas

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:26 pm

mlyonff wrote:
Is there a way to run a second Unimus server somewhere on another network, maybe in AWS, that would be a mirrored version of the inaccessible Unimus server? That way,
If my network is dead, fried, nuked, whatever, then i would have an accessible offline copy of my configuration files.
You can run multiple servers with the same license key, assuming they all manage the same devices (which in your case they do). This way you don't need duplicate licenses for the devices - since Unimus licenses are per-device, so managing the same devices across multiple Unimus servers using the same license key will work without issues.

All Unimus servers using the same license key will replicate devices between each other, so once everything is set up, if you add another device to your local instance, the "cloud" instance would pick it up too. You will of course need to build a VPN from the cloud to your infrastructure.

Please note that when using this setup, it acts in an active-active mode, so both servers perform jobs independently from each other, and both keep their own separate databases. This is likely what you do want in your case tho, to keep full redundancy and separation of both instances.
mlyonff wrote:
I know i can roll my own with the API but i figured i’d ask before i re-invent the wheel.
You can indeed also "export" backups from your local Unimus instance to an off-network location, as a last-resort DR site. The API has endpoints for getting latest backups of all devices: https://wiki.unimus.net/display/UNPUB/F ... estbackups

There is a curl example as well, to not have to deal with pagination, you can set size to a really large number. The backups come in as a base64 encoded string, so just convert base64 -> ascii and you will have the actual text configs :)
hhan

Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:42 pm

Hi Tomas,

I’ve also been testing a redundancy setup, but I cannot really seem to get the preferred setup.
Is there any way to setup a active-passive unimus setup and at the same time have both unimus instances sync the database/backends?

My issue is that setting up an extra unimus instance just increases network load and tends to send duplicated notifications which is really annoying.

Hope something can be fixed solving this case.

- Heini
annihilatedremedy

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:51 pm

Regarding the last post, are the schedules sync'd with the license? Maybe disabling notifications on the second instance?

I was thinking maybe creating an email filter and different sender address, so that you can filter based upon the "from:" address.

Unless the license sync's *everything*... I haven't tested a second instance yet but it is on my list of things to do very soon.