[Solved] Error ENABLE_SWITCH_FAILED

Unimus support forum
ASC

Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:36 am

Hi,

Does anybody know what the cause of this message could be?
This is seen intermittently on some switches, but these do not have an 'Enable' mode (HP 2530).
And only on some days, other days the backup succeeds.
The log on the switches themselves does not clarify anything, log entries are the same during a fail and a succeed.

Any help is appreciated.
Tomas

Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:43 am

Hello,

ENABLE_SWITCH_FAILED are OK during discovery - since if Unimus is trying to discover devices, it might attempt to switch to enable / config mode to see if device supports those modes or not (that is the job of Discovery after all).

The HP / Aruba 2530 does have modes btw - called specifically manager, operator and config contexts (per the docs page 19 https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/do ... 38746en_us).

What's more interesting is that I can't seem to find out what OS this switch runs. It's not full ProVision OS (which runs on ProCurve - now renamed to ArubaOS). It does seem like a cut-down version of ProVision however. From what I can find from HP documentation, they call it "ArubaOS-Switch", which we actually don't have official support for.

How does Unimus identify the devices for you (what's the detected vendor/model)?

Thanks!
ASC

Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:37 pm

The devices are listed as:
Vendor: HP
Type: ProCurve switch
Model: 2530-8G-PoEP
for instance

Does this tell you enough?
Tomas

Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:08 pm

Thanks - it seems our HP ProCurve driver is able to identify and adopt it.

I think the best option would be to natively support this through a separate "ArubaOS-Switch" driver - since the OS is not a full-featured ProVision/ArubaOS.

Could you please create a support ticket on our Portal, and one of our devs will organize with you to add full support for these :)
ASC

Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:54 pm

Thank you, I will create a support request.