[Solved] Web Gui / Setup Wizard not loading?

Unimus support forum
RoutingFrames

Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:34 pm

Hey All,

I'm trying to deploy pair of these on the linux / CentOS and I have one of the machines working and installed perfectly but the 2nd doesn't even load the web gui or the wizard. It just sits at "Page cannot be displayed" or "timed out"

Any thoughts?
Tomas

Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi,

A few things you can check:
1) is the Unimus service running? "systemctl status unimus"
2) does a page request work from localhost? "curl http://localhost:8085" from the server itself
3) is any firewall blocking it? (such as iptables, firewalld, ufw, etc.)
4) what does the log file say? (/var/log/unimus/unimus.log)

Most likely you will just have to either allow Unimus (incoming TCP 8085 traffic) in iptables/firewalld/ufw (recommended), or for a quick check disable iptables/firewalld/ufw all together (not recommended).
RoutingFrames

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:05 pm

Tomas wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:57 pm
Hi,

A few things you can check:
1) is the Unimus service running? "systemctl status unimus"
2) does a page request work from localhost? "curl http://localhost:8085" from the server itself
3) is any firewall blocking it? (such as iptables, firewalld, ufw, etc.)
4) what does the log file say? (/var/log/unimus/unimus.log)

Most likely you will just have to either allow Unimus (incoming TCP 8085 traffic) in iptables/firewalld/ufw (recommended), or for a quick check disable iptables/firewalld/ufw all together (not recommended).
Wow,

Thanks for the quick reply!

The service is running, but I think the something is corrupted in HTML
<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=11;chrome=1">
<meta name="viewport" content="user-scalable=no,initial-scale=1.0">
<title>Unimus</title>
<style type="text/css">html, body {height:100%;margin:0;}</style>
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" href="./VAADIN/themes/unimus-dark/favicon.ico">
<link rel="icon" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" href="./VAADIN/themes/unimus-dark/favicon.ico">
</head>
<body scroll="auto" class="v-generated-body">
<div id="ROOT-2521314" class="v-app unimus-dark unimusui">
<div class="v-app-loading"></div>
<noscript>
You have to enable javascript in your browser to use an application built with Vaadin.
</noscript>
</div>
<script type="text/javascript" src="./VAADIN/vaadinBootstrap.js?v=7.7.9"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">//<![CDATA[
if (!window.vaadin) alert("Failed to load the bootstrap javascript: ./VAADIN/vaadinBootstrap.js?v=7.7.9");
vaadin.initApplication("ROOT-2521314",{"theme":"unimus-dark","versionInfo":{"vaadinVersion":"7.7.9","atmosphereVersion":"2.2.9.vaadin2"},"widgetset":"AppWidgetset","widgetsetReady":true,"comErrMsg":{"caption":"Communication problem","message":"Take note of any unsaved data, and <u>click here</u> or press ESC to continue.","url":null},"authErrMsg":{"caption":"Authentication problem","message":"Take note of any unsaved data, and <u>click here</u> or press ESC to continue.","url":null},"sessExpMsg":{"caption":"Session Expired","message":"Take note of any unsaved data, and <u>click here</u> or press ESC key to continue.","url":null},"vaadinDir":"./VAADIN/","standalone":true,"heartbeatInterval":300,"serviceUrl":"/vaadinServlet"});
//]]></script>
</body>
Tomas

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Where is the HTML output from?
Is that from a CURL call, or is that from the browser where you are accessing Unimus from?

Additionally, are you using a reverse proxy (apache/nginx) in front of you Unimus instance?
RoutingFrames

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:14 pm

Tomas wrote:
Is that from a CURL call, or is that from the browser where you are accessing Unimus from?

Additionally, are you using a reverse proxy (apache/nginx) in front of you Unimus instance?
that curl is from the CentOS host where it's installed and nope, no proxy.

Should I just try a reinstall?
Tomas

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:16 pm

RoutingFrames wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:14 pm
Tomas wrote:

that curl is from the CentOS host where it's installed and nope, no proxy.

Should I just try a reinstall?
That is correct output for curl - curl is just a simple HTML grabber - it can't execute javascript, so all is good with that output.
If curl did that output, it means Unimus is running and all is working.

Since curl on localhost works, and you get a "Page cannot be displayed" or "timed out" messages on a PC (using a browser) when trying to access Unimus on this server, this means it's definitelly just a firewall problem.

As mentioned in my above posts, please check iptables/firewalld/ufw, or any network firewalls along the path from the PC to the server :)
RoutingFrames

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:55 pm

It's not a firewall, I''ve got a windows VM on the same NIC/Subnet that I am trying to browse.

Do we have to open 8085 in IPTables on the Unimus/CentOS VM?
Tomas

Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:59 pm

RoutingFrames wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:55 pm
It's not a firewall, I''ve got a windows VM on the same NIC/Subnet that I am trying to browse.

Do we have to open 8085 in IPTables on the Unimus/CentOS VM?
Yes, you will have to open that port in the iptables/firewalld/uwf of the server.
The Unimus service hosts a web-server, so in order for you to connect to the service from your PC, you will need to open that port.

iptables/firewalld/ufw is blocking incoming connections to the web-server of Unimus, so logically in order for your PC to connect to Unimus, the firewall needs to allow that :)
RoutingFrames

Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:03 pm

okay I shall give it a try!

oddly enough the first one I deployed worked fine. I didn't have to manually open the port.

Thank you!

edit: That did it, weird. The first instance didn't care, but this one did.

Have a good day Tomas and thank you!