Unimus vs Netxms

General discussion of anything Unimus
gmonk

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:31 am

What does Unimus provide that we cant already do for free with Netxms and a little scripting. We already check for config changes with netxms and autodownload config backups from our ruggedcom and netonix switches when anything has changed.

Thanks,

Gary
Tomas

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:37 am

Unimus is a full featured configuration management system, NetXMS is a monitoring system.
As you mentioned, you can make NetXMS do many things if you script / implement them yourself into it.

What Unimus does for you that NetXMS doesnt:

- automatic configuration versioning and backup
Unimus doesn't just backup devices, it does configuration versioning.
This means Unimus actually checks and parses downloaded configs and only stores them when then change.
(and show you exact change points)

- graphical diffs
since Unimus already does config versioning, it is super easy to identify change points and diff for changes
we have spent A LOT of time making the diff feature properly works with all little quirks and particularities of all 120+ vendors we support

- graphical config change notifications
with Unimus, you actually get a config change notification when config changes
this is fully implemented with all 120+ vendors (and with those that don't send SNMP traps or syslog messages, you won't get this in NetXMS)

- Mass Config Push / Network Automation
need to update firmware on 200 switches - press 1 button and it's taken care of
or deploying a VLAN across the network, changing / adding users, etc.
basically, Unimus allows you to automate any network-related reconfigs at scale

- Config Search (network-wide config auditing)
let's stay an admin leaves the company, so you need to validate if he doesn't have an account in the network anymore
just type his username, and Unimus will find it in the entire network
same with a vlan, type "vlan 100" and you will see everywhere it's deployed, and how it's configured
this allows you to easily audit the config of the entire network within seconds

You could do these things yourself, but consider how much work you would have to do to make all of this happen.
Unimus also supports 120+ vendors out-of-the-box, so if you add a new vendor into your network, you don't have to spend a bunch of time adding support into your "home-made" solution, with Unimus, it just works.

So in the end, it is up to you if you want to spend your time making and maintaining a home-built solution, or just pay for an Unimus license and have everything handled out of the box - the usual build vs. buy debate :)
(of course including support for any issues and cool new things we will be releasing in the future)
gmonk

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Wow.. I guess that answers my question thanks for the info. I would love to try this out but 90% of our switches are Ruggedcom

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/industrial- ... rs900.aspx

Do you plan on adding support for these?
Tomas

Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:14 pm

gmonk wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:05 pm
Wow.. I guess that answers my question thanks for the info. I would love to try this out but 90% of our switches are Ruggedcom

https://w3.siemens.com/mcms/industrial- ... rs900.aspx

Do you plan on adding support for these?
We would be happy to add support for these.

Can you please open a ticket using our Portal so we can work out the details?