unimus core multiple zones

General discussion of anything Unimus
sebb

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:23 pm

Hello,
I plan to use Unimus, but couldn't find how to use a remote core for multiple zones. Each zone has its own access key, and can't be duplicated to an other.
You may tell me to use tags to separate equipment, but then in the device listing I have a single zone for all my switches. It's about 100 switches to start.
Problem is, a remote core has to be installed in a client's DC and it will manage through vpn multiple clients remote offices, which would be zones.
Then export all data to the main server in my DC.
This setup will be used for may clients having satellite offices connected to a central DC.

Thank you
Vik@Unimus

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:31 pm

Hello,

Apologies for the late reply. Unfortunately, we don't currently plan on implementing this feature and it is also not possible with the current remote Zone implementation. For now, 1 remote Zone = 1 remote location (Unimus Core).

As you mentioned, tags could be deployed and they could indicate their secondary or tertiary location. There is one more thing which could be used to ease adding such devices, and that is using a CSV import (Unimus > Basic import) to add a list of devices to Unimus from those final locations in bulk and use the optional comment as an indication of that location.
awesome457

Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:52 am

I'd certainly support the need for a remote core to support multiple zones. In our case, we are an MSP supported 60+ customers and 500+ devices downstream of a remote core deployed for security reasons. Being forced to view these devices in one single device list (ie unable to use zones or tags to filter) is extremely difficult. God forbid that we'd like some devices to live in multiple zones...

We are presently exploring deploying multiple docker instances of unimus-core to try and work around this problem, but it's still a lot of cores/ containers.

Now, if a device had a zone identifier (or a list of zones) as one of it's attributes...
Tomas

Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:55 pm

awesome457 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:52 am
Now, if a device had a zone identifier (or a list of zones) as one of it's attributes...
Hi, Zones are indeed shown and can be filtered by on the Devices screen:
unimus-devices-zoneid.png
unimus-devices-zoneid.png (50.3 KiB) Viewed 8613 times
Feel free to set your Zone ID to something more relevant than just a numeric ID, and you can then use this in the Search to see all devices within a Zone.
awesome457

Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:23 am

Thanks Tomas. We'll use that.

Now if we could have multiple zones per core... :)
tardar

Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:54 am

Is the Zones can affect the backup performance of devices some how ?
erik.k

Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:02 am

Hi,

it shouldn't be an issue. In general the performance is directly related to the amount of devices which are used and amount of cores or zones do not play any role in this case. Maybe you can describe your problem more in detail to have a better picture about your situation.