[Solved] Cloud Saves?

General discussion of anything Unimus
StevenK

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:11 pm

I was a bit disturbed but also impressed when I applied my license key to my new install that all my jobs popped up on the new server. I was never aware that Unimus was sending our configs for all our devices to somewhere on the cloud?

This concerns me about the security of the product. I assumed this was completely private? Or did it some how know where to get the jobs from?

This brings up interesting idea of being able to back up your backups/config to S3 directly from Unimus if we choose.
Tomas

Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:34 pm

StevenK wrote:
This concerns me about the security of the product. I assumed this was completely private? Or did it some how know where to get the jobs from?
Hi, Unimus does NOT send device configs (or any private / sensitive data) anywhere. The only thing that is sent off-site is licensing data, which is associated to the license key. We have a full transparency statement here on what exactly is sent to our licensing server: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1232

This was also recently discussed here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1438 :)
StevenK wrote:
my new install that all my jobs popped up on the new server
The intended use-case for this is HA deploys, where you want to have 2 active-active servers. They can both use the same license key (since they manage the same devices), and devices and Zones will be synced between them through their license key. You also don't need to buy licenses twice.
StevenK wrote:
This brings up interesting idea of being able to back up your backups/config to S3 directly from Unimus if we choose.
We have the Unimus Exporter available for this, here is more info: https://blog.unimus.net/unimus-backup-exporter/. You can use the exporter together with the AWS S3 CLI to backup your backups off-site.