same external ip

General discussion of anything Unimus
itassist

Mon May 25, 2020 8:40 am

Hello,

I need to set up backups for different devices from another location with same external ip. I tried to setup the different ports for my devices but when I added the second device I recieved this error: "Device already exists".
How can I set up backup for 2 devices from an external ip?

Thanks,
Andrei
Tomas

Tue May 26, 2020 10:58 pm

Hello,

Apologies, but we currently don't support devices behind NAT running on different ports.
Currently in Unimus, there is a rule that a single IP = a single device.
IP duplicities are not allowed inside a single Zone.

Normally if you have remote devices, you could create a separate Zone, and use Unimus Core as a proxy / remote agent for that network. This is usually not worth it if you only have a couple of devices behind NAT that you want to manage tho.

You could theoretically do this by creating 2 Zones, both with using the server itself to communicate with devices (using "Embedded Core" connection mode), and create per-tag connectors to force different ports to be used on the same IP in both Zones.
This is a (certainly convoluted) way to do this in Unimus right now.

Currently this is a limitation in Unimus that we are aware of. We do plan to add support for devices behind NAT going into the future, but right now this is something we don't directly (nor easily) support yet.
petr

Wed May 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi,

well you can just create multiple DNS A records pointing to the same IP address. Add those DNS hostnames to unimus. Tag them and use per-tag connectors. Or am I wrong?
Tomas

Wed May 27, 2020 12:48 pm

You are correct - that is also a way to do this.

You can create multiple DNS records pointing to the same IP, or even multiple entries in the "hosts" file of the Unimus server.
Then use per-tag connectors to specify which ports to use.