[Solved] Triggered backups and Unimus config mode access

Share your Config Push presets or discuss automation in general
Dan S

Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:11 am

Hi all,

I've just started having a go at Unimus, enjoying it so far, but I have a question about what Unimus does when it's logging in during a discovery/backup.

My plan is to get devices to send a syslog message when their config is (potentially) updated, and using that to trigger an API request in Unimus to run a backup. This part is all fine and I have it working, however I've noticed that I get a "SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console" message from Cisco and an "exiting configuration mode" message from Juniper whenever the Unimus backup schedule runs or a device is discovered (but not when I just initiate a manual backup).

Can I check, is that normal behaviour, e.g. the discovery making sure its credentials work in config mode? I can work around it by ignoring the "configured by console" messages that are initiated from the server's IP, but I'm just curious about what's happening behind the scenes and under what circumstances config mode is entered.

Kind regards

Dan
Tomas

Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:50 am

Dan S wrote:

Can I check, is that normal behaviour, e.g. the discovery making sure its credentials work in config mode? I can work around it by ignoring the "configured by console" messages that are initiated from the server's IP, but I'm just curious about what's happening behind the scenes and under what circumstances config mode is entered.
Hi, this is indeed normal. During discovery, Unimus checks which modes are available with the discovered credentials. This is so Unimus always has up-to-date info on the device. For example, you might have Config Push presets scheduled which require enable/configure modes, so Unimus needs to know which devices support those.

More info is available in the Discovery article on the Wiki: https://wiki.unimus.net/display/UNPUB/Discovery
Dan S

Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:28 am

Tomas wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:50 am
Dan S wrote:

Hi, this is indeed normal. During discovery, Unimus checks which modes are available with the discovered credentials. This is so Unimus always has up-to-date info on the device. For example, you might have Config Push presets scheduled which require enable/configure modes, so Unimus needs to know which devices support those.

More info is available in the Discovery article on the Wiki: https://wiki.unimus.net/display/UNPUB/Discovery
Thanks very much Tomas, that answers all of my questions - can't believe I missed that page! The discover-during-backup-schedule approach makes sense for the reasons you've set out; I think I will bind credentials to my devices to reduce the chattiness of our syslog monitoring, which loves to tell me all about failed login attempts.

Kind regards

Dan