[Implemented] automatic backup after discover

Post your feature requests here
dw5304

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:37 am

i would like to request an automatic backup as soon as a device is discovered so you have an initail backup as soon as the device is added vs waiting for the next scheduled time.
Tomas

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:47 am

I didnt want to do a backup immediately after device addition to Unimus because doing a backup on some devices (MikroTik for example) can cause the CPU of the device to go 100% for the duration of a backup. This can of course have adverse effects on your network.

That is why currently when adding a device, only discovery is performed. The reasoning is that you will probably be adding devices to Unimus during business hours, and potentially bringing devices to 100% CPU usage during that time is not something that would be good.

This would be made even worse when in the future import is implemented. You will be able to add hundreds of devices in one go into Unimus, and launching a backup on all of them could do nasty things to your network.

I am however opened to discussion and on what people think is the best way to approach this.
Tomas

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:49 am

A few more people asked for this, so we added an option to turn this on in 'Advanced system settings.'
By default, new devices will still not be backed-up immediately after addition, but you can now configure that.

This setting is available since release 1.4.1, it can be configured in the 'Advanced system settings.'.