[Solved] Minor suggestions for 'backups' view

Post your feature requests here
kingtrw

Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:16 am

Using 2.2.2 at the moment - have a few suggestions for potential improvements to the backups view.

* At the moment the list boxes don't expand automatically to the bottom of the browser window, they're capped at 10 rows.

* When typing in the search box (for instance, if I want to find device "bar") I have to type very quickly - if I type more slowly, then what happens is I press B, then the searching gleam appears - but this stops further text input, so it doesn't register the A or R. I think the quickest fix would be to increase the delay before invoking the autosearch.

* Add indicator of last backup - for peace of mind, I think it would be really handy to have some indicator to show that the last backup occured. I'm thinking that a tick for 'last backup occured on schedule' would be the least confusing - but I don't know if it's easy to calculate this.
Vik@Unimus

Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:48 pm

Let's start with the limitation of the amount of items in the Backups view. This is an intentional UX design. The reason for this is that we would have to add the whole diff view below the list of devices and backups, and new users might not notice there is a new content outside of their view and that they have to scroll down to see it. Even doing something like expanding the table when Diff is not selected and shrinking it back when Diff is selected would cause these small UX problems with shifting selected items up and down, etc.

Search is a problem and we will do these two steps:
- immediate change will be increasing the delay (it is currently set to 250ms) to something higher which will mitigate the unwanted behavior
- going forward we will rework the search input processing as a whole to make it seamless.

Last backup status indicator is a good idea. We have created an internal ticket for it and will look at it.
kingtrw

Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:38 am

Of course! That empty space is used for the diff viewer - I didn't realize, because as my install is still fresh, none of the devices I originally selected had diffs to show. That makes perfect sense.

Perhaps the diff viewer window object could always be shown, with a default message such as "Select multiple config files to view differences"? This would have the benefit of bringing the diff visibility feature to the forefront; at the moment it's not immediately obvious that it's there unless you know how to invoke it.

Great news about the other changes :) Thanks!
Vik@Unimus

Wed May 18, 2022 1:34 pm

Hello,

I have just wanted to let you know the change for the input processing delay has been brought to our latest version 2.2.3-Beta3 live now. You can find more information in our Beta branch thread

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1454

and download the new version below

https://unimus.net/download-dev

You can upgrade your Unimus (I think I recall you have it deployed on Linux) by stopping Unimus service, downloading the new .jar file from the Beta download page and replacing the existing binary in /opt/unimus folder with the new one.

If you get a chance, give it a try and let us know if it worked as expected, or in case you encounter any other issue.