Indicator of which connector is used

Post your feature requests here
kingtrw

Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:25 pm

I think it'd be handy if in the devices list there were icons to indicate what connectors were active for a device (SSH/Telnet/HTTP/HTTPS) -- I know that *some* of my devices are currently connected via telnet (because they only became discoverable after I turned telnet on) but it's not immediately obvious which they are -- and I want to go through and convert them all to SSH.

I know I can find out via config searching so it's a very minor feature :)
Vik@Unimus

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:42 pm

This is a good suggestion and it will be a great addition to the advanced filtering we are working on for the Devices view, which will put the search bar on steroids to give users in-depth filtering options, this one also included.
fhouston

Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:29 pm

I was searching for how to do this and came across this thread. Since it looks like it is not a built in function already I would upvote this as well.

It was mentioned it might be possible to find out this info from a config search... I just inherited our Unimus system/function from someone who left the organization. So I'm still trying to dig into the details of it. How can I go about searching either configs or logs to determine if any of our systems are still relying on telnet.

Thanks
Vik@Unimus

Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:27 pm

The answer for what you'd be looking for via Config search highly depends on devices and how it is being set up/interpreted in their configuration. For example, if we talk the most of Cisco devices, I would personally search for any occurrence of all or telnet after transport input using a regex like this one

Code: Select all

(?m)^\h*transport input.*(all|telnet).*$
here's an example of what I could then see in the results

cisco_telnet_search.png
cisco_telnet_search.png (7.12 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
fhouston

Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:38 pm

Gotcha. I'll play around w/ it a bit and see what I can find.

It don't suppose there is a way to search the logs to determine which device has been contacted by which method is there? Although so far though I've found the logging to be rather sparse shall we say ;) So I guess the other question is whether or not there is a way to turn up the verbosity? Thanks
Vik@Unimus

Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:20 pm

Yes, this is also an option and in some ways this may be preferred as you don't have to keep in mind all different formats of all manufacturers. Here's how to do it:

1. Enable debug logging. To do so, go to Zones > Your Zone (the zone where you assigned the affected device(s)) > Debug mode and enable Debug mode.

2. Run discovery on the devices of interest

3. Check unimus.log file and search for this simple string

Telnet available on
this way you can locate lines in the log like this one

2022-08-23 16:57:47.288 TRACE 22828 --- [discovery-12] n.u.c.s.c.telnet.TelnetConnection        : Telnet available on '10.20.30.40'
you could search for some other strings too, but this one will be displayed only if Unimus discovers a working Telnet port. Don't forget to have Telnet enabled in Unimus > Other settings > Default connector settings, otherwise Unimus wouldn't attempt to create Telnet connections.