Wishlist feature socks proxy?

Post your feature requests here
wazza

Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Hey,

So I've been thinking about this... One of my problems that I have, is that I have networks behind networks, that we simply don't have "direct" access to.

Yes, we could do things like have a gateway machine, and do NAT port forwards, or several other things. I'd say we could deploy another Unimus instance within those environments, but that won't be possible, and even if it was, I really want a "central" backup system.

While I'm not a particular "fan" of socks proxies, they do serve a purpose, and in our case many of the devices we manage, have this as a built in feature, (Mikrotik), and we could enable it for this. The other advantage of socks, is that it will work as a proxy for any protocol, HTTP/S, SSH, telnet, etc., and on arbitrary ports.

It would require a way to group devices, and force a particular group to use a particular proxy, and this coupled with the ability to specify which credentials should be used on a particular group, would open up a whole new set of devices that can be backed up.

I understand that this might be a re-engineering of the product, but I think it would be well worth it.

Thanks,

Wazza.
Tomas

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:50 am

We are definitely planning to do something about local collection of networks behind NAT from a central server.
We have however not decided yet what is the best way to implement it.

We will either publish a separate small "collector" application that would be deployed locally and serve only as a collection proxy. Or indeed add support for SOCKS or some other proxy type.
Good news is that Unimus is internally ready for both, so it will not be a problem.

We expect to implement this around end of Q2 / start of Q3 2017, and we will definitely do a poll and ask around for people's opinion before we implement anything :)